"The Journey of Joining a Drumline: From Auditions to Performances"

Joining the Tiffin University Marching Band (TUMB) was an entirely new experience for me, especially since I never got the chance to be in a high school marching band. Fortunately, my background with the community drumline, EN-CORPS: Sound of Stark (formerly The En-Rich-Ment Drumline, Danceline, and Color Guard) in Canton, Ohio, prepared me in ways I didn’t expect. But stepping into TUMB was a different world, filled with new challenges and strange, yet exciting, moments. The “audition process” was unlike anything I imagined. My “audition” was actually just a tour of the Performing Arts Laboratory (PAL), which felt pretty low-key compared to what I expected. After the tour, I stuck around to see the TU Music Department put on the musical “Dogfight.” A few hours later, I learned that my experience in drumline was enough to secure me a spot in the marching band definitely not the traditional audition I’d anticipated! Before arriving at Tiffin, I’d already connected with the music department’s recruiter on a conference call, where we discussed the arts opportunities that awaited me. As the summer of my senior year went by, I received emails from Mr. Parent, the band director, and Zach Banks, my very first section leader, introducing themselves and expressing their excitement about the upcoming season. I had never experienced having a section leader before, so it was something new that I had to adjust to quickly. When I finally joined, I noticed something I hadn’t seen in a long time: sheet music. Since I naturally learned by ear, reading music was a real challenge for me I hadn’t done it since sixth grade! Still, I was eager to tackle this new hurdle.

My first performance with TUMB was against Northwood on September 11th, and it’s one I’ll never forget. It was a significant moment, filled with musical challenges that I worked through by finding my own rhythm within the band. I learned new cadences quickly, thanks to my previous drumline experience, and had to master adding visuals to my playing something I’d always wanted to try, inspired by the Santa Clara Vanguard Drum Corps. As the only cymbal player during my freshman year, this was my chance to really push my skills. The highlights of that performance came as I started to lose myself in the music, truly enjoying the experience of being on the field. The thrill of showcasing my cymbal skills during “Leave the Door Open” and “Superstition” was incredible. But what made it even better was the Motown theme of the show, featuring iconic artists like Silk Sonic, Marvin Gaye, and Stevie Wonder. For me, being in the marching band wasn’t just about playing music it was about having fun, embracing challenges, and finding my place in this amazing new environment.

Comments

Popular Posts